Uses: Emotional Balance, Self-Love, Psychic Expansion
Chakra: Third Eye, Heart, Sacral
Origin: India, Sri Lanka, Australia, Brazil, & throughout the world
Birthstone Month: June
All it takes is a quick glance at a moonstone to understand the mystical connotations it has held for centuries. Associated with the energies of the moon due to its shimmery, dream-like glow; moonstone is also tied to the element of water, the emotional and intuitive bodies, and divine feminine energy. The magical uses and healing properties of moonstone are vast, though it is most often sought for inner balance, self-love, spiritual insight, fertility, and stress relief.
Moonstone is a variety of feldspar. It's notable for its adularescence; the term used to describe the natural geological phenomenon and optical effect which gives moonstone its shimmery appearance.
Historically, moonstone was considered sacred by many different cultures; representing the power and energy of lunar deities. For this reason, moonstone was often utilized as a “travelers stone;” especially helpful for those seeking safe passage at night. Noted for its beautiful and iridescent sheen, moonstone has always been a popular choice for jewelry and adornments.
Moonstone Meaning, Properties and Benefits
You’re starting something new
Be it a new project or a new phase in life, moonstone provides wonderful support when you’re ready for new beginnings. In addition to sparking creative insight, moonstone promotes balance between our intuition and logic; allowing for the next steps on our path to be revealed.
You’re emotionally out of balance
If you deal with emotional ups and downs, then moonstone is a must-have companion. Allow it to soothe your nerves when you find yourself emotionally triggered or if you have a tendency to overreact at this time.
Moonstone is especially helpful for those who identify as empaths or highly sensitive people. Keep a moonstone nearby as a gentle buffer and nurturer if you tend to get emotionally or sensorially overwhelmed by external stimuli.
You want to open up psychically
We are all born with intuitive and even psychic gifts, although these gifts are usually unacknowledged and even openly rejected in childhood by our (often well-meaning) parents. If psychic muscles aren’t exercised, they tend to atrophy. Moonstone will assist anyone who wants to reactivate their intuitive awareness and go beyond their five sensory perception. Meditate with a piece of moonstone on your third eye to awaken any dormant psychic abilities, such as clairvoyance (clear seeing), claircognizance (clear knowing), clairsentience (clear feeling), and clairaudience (clear hearing).
You want to explore your subconscious
Like the glow of the full moon that guides us through the darkness, moonstone can bring to light what is hidden from our daily view. Introspective practices and emotional healing work can allow you to access deep truths. Moonstone supports this type of shadow work as it creates space for our subconscious fears and soul-aligned desires to reveal themselves; ultimately bringing us closer to our best and most authentic selves.
Practical Tips on How to Use Moonstone (Rituals, Meditation, & Home)
Release & Intend Ritual
1. This ritual is best done on a full or new moon, as either time is ideal for releasing stagnant energy and calling in new, desired experiences. You’ll want to have your moonstone, a writing utensil, and two pieces of paper.
2. Create sacred space by cleansing the area around you with a herb of your choice. Visualize any stale or negative energy leaving the space as you simultaneously visualize 100% pure light and love coming in to support you.
3. Write down on one piece of paper what you’re ready to release from your life. What is holding you back? It could be an unhealthy relationship tie, a self-destructive habit, or a behavior that no longer serves you.
4. Speak aloud your list, making sure to say “I release…” before everything you mention. Once you’ve finished, rip the paper up into very small pieces while simultaneously affirming, “I release, I release, I release.” Dispose of these pieces however you’d like.
5. Take out your second piece of paper. Write down everything you’d like to call into your life this next cycle. What do you want to have or experience in your life?
6. Hold your piece of moonstone in your non-dominant hand. Notice its appearance, its weight, and the way it feels in your hand. You’ve now established an energetic connection between you and the moonstone. Keep it in your hand as you read your list of intentions, making sure to say “I call in…” before every intention.
7. Give thanks to life for all that you are certain to receive. Affirm, “I am grateful. I am deserving. I am a magnet for my desires. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.”
8. Throughout the month, keep your list and your moonstone nearby as symbols of your intentions.
Meditation For Psychic Expansion
1. Create sacred space by cleansing your environment with a sacred herb of your choice.
2. Set a timer for as long as you’d like to meditate. Fifteen to twenty minutes is sufficient but you are welcome to go longer. It is best to practice this meditation while lying down.
3. Place a piece of moonstone on your third eye chakra, at the space right between your eyebrows. If you need a little extra grounding, put some black tourmaline or garnet at your ankles.
4. Bring your awareness to your breath. Begin to circulate your breath throughout your body, slowly bringing your awareness and your breath to every area of your body. As you do so, purposefully release any stress or tension you may be holding. Feel your body relax more and more with every breath.
5. Affirm and repeat, “I am safe. I am secure.”
6. Bring your attention to the moonstone and your third eye. Notice its weight and how it feels on your forehead. Visualize a white glow emanating from the moonstone.
7. Take a deep breath in and out. Imagine the white light of your moonstone washing over your entire forehead and behind your eyes, clearing out any negative or stuck energy and restoring a sense of peace and openness.
8. Keep breathing in and out, visualizing the moonstone’s light expanding out from your third eye chakra and surrounding your entire body. Affirm, “I am intuitive. It is safe to see. It is safe to know. It is safe to be psychic. I trust my intuition. I move forward with ease.”
How to Care for your Moonstone
When you bring your moonstone home for the first time, allow it to adjust to your space and its new environment. Rinse it briefly with a bit of warm, soapy water and clean off any debris it may have picked up using a soft cloth. You shouldn’t submerge your moonstone in water, however, as this can damage the stone.
For continued care of your moonstone, you can cleanse and charge it regularly. Some ways to do so include: leaving it in the moonlight or sunlight for a few hours, placing it in the Earth overnight, cleansing it with a sacred herb of your choice, placing it on a selenite plate, or playing a crystal singing bowl in its presence. Whether you are cleansing or charging your stone, the most important thing is the intention you set as you perform the action.
By maintaining a calm equilibrium within our mental and emotional bodies, moonstone safely reconnects us to our dreams and the realm of the unconscious. Reassuring, soothing, and nurturing, it helps us get in touch with who we really are and what we really want. Forever linked with the energy of the moon, it serves as a gentle reminder that our lives are cyclical, that the only constant is change, and that even in our darkest and most challenging times, this too shall pass.
Disclaimer: Please consult a healthcare professional for any medical advice. The information in this article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease or condition.